Am I required to have impact resistant glazing?

If you are on the beachside, by the Florida Building Code you are required to provide opening protection either with Impact Resistant Glazing, Shutters, or an *exception.

*Exception: Wood structural panels with a thickness of not less than 7/16" (11mm) and a span between lines of fasteners of 44" (1118mm) shall be permitted for opening protection in buildings with a mean roof height of 33' or less in locations where vult is 180 mph or less.  Panels shall be precut to overlap the wall such that they extend a minimum of 2 inches (50.8mm) beyond the lines of fasteners and attached to the framing surrounding the opening containing the product with the glazed opening. Panels shall be predrilled as required for the attachment method and secured with corrosion-resistant attachment hardware permanently installed on the building.  

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit for a shed?
2. Where can I find out who the owner of a property is?
3. Do I need a permit to repaint my commercial building?
4. Where do I obtain a garage sale permit?
5. How do I obtain a tree removal permit?
6. When is a notice of commencement required?
7. How do I check the status of a project in review?
8. Must my new or replacement windows have impact protection?
9. How do I register as a contractor with Ormond Beach?
10. Where can I obtain contractor information?
11. What Florida Building Codes are we currently in?
12. What is the best way to contact a building department employee?
13. Am I required to have impact resistant glazing?
14. How do I obtain a permit to build a deck?
15. How can I verify or apply for a water meter, sewer connection, or irrigation for my residential property?