Speaking During the City Commission Meeting
Public participation in meetings is encouraged by the City Commission. If you wish to speak before the City Commission, you must complete the Request to Speak Card provided at the entrance to the City Commission Chambers prior to each City Commission meeting.
If you wish to speak about an item not on the meeting agenda, you must present your card to the City Clerk prior to the "Audience Remarks" section of the agenda. If you wish to speak about an item on the agenda, present your card to the City Clerk prior to the consideration of the agenda item.
In speaking before the City Commission, the following policy shall be followed:
- Comments regarding items not on the agenda may be made during the "Audience Remarks" section of the agenda and are limited to three (3) minutes. Audience remarks will conclude after 30 minutes. Individuals who submitted a card and did not have an opportunity to speak will be heard at the end of the meeting; however, no new cards will be accepted at that time.
- Comments regarding items on the agenda will be heard at the time the item is considered by the Commission. Comments shall be limited to no more than three (3) minutes. Comments may only be made on “Consent Agenda” items which have been removed for separate consideration from the “Consent Agenda” at the request of a member of the City Commission.
- When the Mayor calls your name, please approach the podium and clearly state your name and address for the record.
- Address all remarks to the Mayor, as presiding officer.
- Any person making personal, impertinent or slanderous remarks, or who shall become boisterous or use offensive language, may be requested to leave the meeting. All participants or speakers shall refrain from belittling or insulting remarks or from making personal attacks.
- No reference by name to any individual present or absent, including Commission members and City staff, shall be used in a derogatory or offensive manner by any person addressing the City Commission.